Monday, September 9, 2013

The Art of Doing Nothing

Oddly enough, having a child has taught me how to relax. I spent the weekend rolling around on the floor, taking walks, romping around the park, going to breakfast and playing candy crush (damn it, I swore I never would). Because I had to. This is what you do when you have a child, you spend time with them. And that time is spent having fun and taking care of them...same thing if you ask me.

Prior to having a child, I would be cleaning, doing yard work, running a multitude an errands (some of which I probably made up simply to fill time), and in general just putting checks in boxes. Of course I also would have been sleeping in, going out to dinner and drinking more than I should, but I've already reconciled that these activities are going to have a take somewhat of a back seat for a little while. Well maybe not the drinking.

These days, I don't have that same sense of having to knock out a to-do list every weekend, because it simply will not happen. And through acceptance of the situation, I'm a little more relaxed.

That said, I did do a few things around the house -- vacuumed (to get the crap off the floor for when Oliver is crawling around), laundry (because this never stops with an 8 month old), and went to the grocery store (which was an educational trip for my child). But during nap time, instead of a) updating the baby book, b) finishing baby-proofing, c) working out, or d) working, I played candy crush. Productive. I was beat from rolling around on the floor.

So it's not really "nothing". Just a different kind of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment